Don’t recall wether I actually blogged about my new-ish banner… you can get one just like it here!
- Why I’m Unemployable, by Susannah Breslin, is a really great essay on not fitting in, in a conventional workplace – and how that’s totally ok.
- Jessica Hische’s engagement website, Jess & Russ, is so unbelievably awesome. Love the colour palette and the unique illustrations contributed by artists and friends.
- 100 Greatest Free Fonts, a great round-up of free fonts. I haven’t even made it all the way through the list! Found via the always awesome Nubby Twiglet.
- J.K. Rowling is No Longer a Billionaire, and you’ll love the reason why. God, I love this gal!
- Tydepool is a superbly curated collection of ‘remarkable creatures’ from Amazon and Etsy. I’m keeping this one tucked away in my bookmarks bar until I’m flush with cash!
- Who Made That Soy-Sauce Dispenser? Loved learning a little more about Kenji Ekuan.
- Is Facebook Making Us Lonely? I vote yes! I also think it’s reducing peoples’ ability to maintain real friendships. Perhaps I am just old fashioned?!
My favourites this week | Image by Acid Cow
- I have a bizarre fascination with rare vintage images of celebrities.
- Maybe sometime soon I’ll get over my fear of making meringues and attempt these mushroom shaped meringues? Beyond the cute, friends.
- Amazing hand-painted dining room walls. Filing this under To do (when I finally own my own place). I would totally consider doing this now in my rental, if 1. we didn’t have stippled walls, and 2. the next tenant would probably turn out to have totally different taste and paint right over it.
- Citymob seems dodgy in their recruitment/pyramid scheme based business, but guys I can’t resist a 29% off deal on Skermunkil jewelry! I’m only human.
- This slick little desk can feel free to slip it’s way into my furniture collection.
- Been falling prey to a little late night baking, and this Spiced Lemon cake was the accomplice. This recipe seems pretty bullet-proof.
- The days are few and far between that I genuinely get sucked into a blog to the extent that I look up and easily an hour has passed. Thanks Elephantine, you are that blog this weekend.
- Friends, I got sucked into an internet wormhole for a quick second there. I spent the whole morning dutifully reading each and every Dawson’s Creek recap by Elizabeth Sankey. I haven’t laughed this maniacally in some time.
My favourites this week | Image by Kris Atomic
- Rogert Ebert’s beautifully written post about The Shard. A nostalgic look at Form vs. Function.
- Love this blog, Dancing with the Black Dog, Mark Pacitti’s honest account of his battle with depression.
- How to Escape the Comparison Trap by Becka Robinson. Related to so many parts of this article, especially the paragraph about never being one of the ‘cool’ kids.
- Isaac Likes discusses the curse of the freelancer. Relatable and honest. I really liked this excerpt: “One of the pitfalls of being a freelancer is the amount of time you spend sitting around contemplating your own existence between jobs. Downtime is, after all, the enemy of success.” (Via Nubbytwiglet)
- Lessons from Chuck Close. This has made the rounds, and I even posted Close’s quote here this week, but it is worth linking to this post because that video is awe inspiring. It’s always a strange feeling when you watch someone speak and have this overwhelming feeling of “This is what genius is.”
- Great roundup of dipped furniture. I too have that feeling of eyeing every piece of furniture I own and thinking “hmmmm…”
- Pastel hair from LFW. I always dreamed of having My Little Pony hair!
- Aaaand… speaking of My Little Pony, Ponyhoof is an app that changes your whole Facebook profile My Little Pony-themed. Awesome. (Via CollegeFashion)